My parents and most of my family are from Jamaica. Rundown (also known as run down) is a really popular Jamaican dish. It usually has fish in it with coconut milk, onions (lots of onions!), tomatoes and seasoning.
My mum always makes it with mackerel. It isn’t a hard dish to make and it tastes amazing.
- 2 tins of coconut milk
- 1kg mackerel
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 stalks spring onion, chopped
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet chilli, chopped
- 2 – 3 sprigs of thyme
- Wash the mackerel and cut it into chunks. Try to take out as many of the bones as possible.
- Boil the coconut milk rapidly in a heavy frying pan until it is reduced to oil and coconut separated.
- Add the fish, cover and cook for 10 minutes on a medium heat.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, spring onions, tomatoes, hot pepper and thyme. Lower the heat and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with boiled green bananas and dumplings.